Friday, January 21, 2011

SLRs Are Trendy Accesories

It's some of the bulkiest shit you'll see,
but everybody wants one.


When I was 9, I envied the Korean girl who had this nice pink digital camera. It was something my family couldn't afford to buy at the time, so I used a crappy film camera instead. Soon after, I got a camcorder, but the highest resolution on it was a joke; 240p. Last year, I finally got my hands on a nice little digital camera. Is it the best thing ever? No, but it's a 1/4 the size of my camcorder and half the price. Did I mention in films in 720p? Technology has clearly advanced, and become more accessible. Things once seen as luxuries are now common house hold items.

For some, the compact digi-cam just isn't enough. While sitting through an English class, I listened to my classmates as they chatter about wanting to get an SLR. In math class, I hear about how one of my classmates got an SLR for Christmas! These chunky cams are becoming increasingly popular, but are they really necessary? It seems nice to have, but your reason is "Just because" it seems like quite a waste of money.

Kudos to you if you love photography! But I feel like a lot of people just want the camera, because they want to become like photographers of image the see on tumblr . . . so they can take really good pictures of bread? I don't know.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to get one myself. The thing is, I wouldn't buy one unless I felt I truly needed it. If there was an SLR in my possession, I simply wouldn't get my money's worth out of it! The reason I enjoy my compact digi is because I am able to take snap shots throughout my day. If I wanted to capture moments, I'd be fine with all of the resources I have right now. I'd rather be living the moment instead of fumbling with a giant piece of technology.

Cost wise?

Lenses > Camera body

LOL! It's like buying toner for your printer, bro. IT'S LIKE HAVING A BABY! You have to pay more to support it than to get it.

If you have an SLR or any camera in general, please to be embarrassed of your child! I don't understand why people are embarrassed to take photos in public. I OCD when people waste money (but I waste a lot) "orz

Sorry for rambling

-pk

0 comments:

Post a Comment